Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Same Shizzit, Different Day

One thing that you get used to growing up in Wyoming is waking up to a world that rarely changes and it is as much of a good thing as it is a bad. Being enrolled in college doesn’t help this fact either. I wake up knowing that I am going to see the same people, the same scenery, go to the same classes, even the same weather (which in Laramie is generally cold and windy). There are very few things that change day in and day out. I still have the same sarcastic yet entertaining roommates that are unique in their own way. The only things that seem to change in my daily routines are the comments that those sarcastic roommates have to make, the lecture topics in class, the assignments I receive at my internship, and whether it is going to rain or snow that day.




We all, in some way or another, have a daily routine that rarely changes. It is just human nature to form routines and structure out our daily lives. We may not realize it, but it does exist and it is so monotonous. Being involved in sports my whole life having a routine was something that had consumed my life. Having to go to lifting, then rehab for injuries, class, lunch, more class, film, practice, rehab, dinner, study tables, and finally sleep. This is the very routine that I lived six days a week for three straight years playing college ball. Now, even without collegiate sports in my life, I have managed to form new routines that have helped the days fly by. Today is one of those days where I had an epiphany about this fact of life. I realized that my days seem so boring and literally fly by because there is nothing that changes throughout the day.




I am very fond of change and enjoy changing my daily routines, but have been so caught up in life at the moment to make any changes. I still find myself waking up, making breakfast, going to class, going to my internship, then going to another job, and then going home to watch a movie and do homework before I randomly pass out at some point. Up to this point I have been content with this monotonous routine. However, due to this lack of change in my life I have made it a personal goal of mine to make at least one change in this routine every day. Read a book, go see a different friend every day, go for a run, etc. And I challenge everyone who reads this to do the same, change your norm and break free from your routine to do something new and unusual. Blog you later

No comments:

Post a Comment